Editorial Intern Position
Higher Education Publishing
Canadian Scholars/Women’s Press is seeking an Editorial Intern. Working from our downtown office at Adelaide and Spadina, this individual will receive a unique opportunity to learn about all aspects of publishing in a small, independent environment.
The Editorial Intern will be responsible for a variety of tasks associated with the acquisition, development, and production of our textbooks. This individual will
- Attend editorial meetings and take meeting minutes
- Conduct market research for proposed manuscripts
- Research opportunities for new textbooks
- Assist with assembling peer review panels
- Assist with the preparation of manuscripts for production
- Write and proofread back cover and marketing copy as needed
- Assist with reviewing proofs and editing supplements
- Assist with book distribution and mailing
- Assist with photo research for covers
- Perform administrative support where needed
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and skills:
- Demonstrated interest in educational publishing
- Excellent communication, organizational, and time management skills
- Superior research skills and attention to detail
- Strong PC skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe
- Experience copy editing and proofreading is an asset
- Experience in a higher education academic setting is an asset
- Bilingualism in French is an asset
Enrollment or recent experience in an editorial, publishing, or journalism program is preferred.
This is a full-time, four-month internship, beginning at the start of January 2020, with an honorarium of $25 per day.
Canadian Scholars/Women’s Press is committed to equality and diversity, and we encourage applicants from underrepresented communities.
Please submit your cover letter and resume, in one PDF document, to Colin Owen at email@example.com by November 29, 2019.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Publisher’s Representative – Canadian Scholars/Women’s Press
Canadian Scholars/Women’s Press is one of Canada’s leading independent publishers of books for the higher education market. We create books that make a genuine and lasting contribution to the evolution of disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. Our Women’s Press imprint is Canada’s foremost academic feminist publisher.
We are currently looking for a highly motivated individual with strong communication and organizational skills to join our dynamic team, assuming the position of Publisher’s Representative. This position is based out of our downtown Toronto office.
- Marketing and selling books to the academic community through direct contact by telephone, in person, email campaigns, and through use of printed marketing materials.
- Seeking out high quality leads within a designated territory through extensive market research.
- Maintaining proactive customer service with instructors.
- Organizing and attending conferences, displays, and other marketing and sales events.
- An undergraduate degree
- Sales and marketing experience would be an asset
- 1-2 years’ experience in academic book publishing would be an asset
Compensation includes competitive salary, commissions, benefits and group RSP plan. Please submit applications in one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 6th, 2020.
Canadian Scholars/Women’s Press is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equality and diversity, and we encourage applicants from underrepresented communities. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.